Although major market shifts were already occurring in the healthcare industry prior to the pandemic, COVID-19 accelerated many emerging trends. Healthcare consumer preferences have also changed dramatically, creating entirely new expectations for healthcare organizations.
Given these evolving conditions, it’s obvious that healthcare payers and providers must find ways to rapidly adapt and transform their services and experiences if they wish to retain and attract new members and patients. In this search to deliver a stronger healthcare experience, one powerful new strategy has emerged – the digital front door.
As we explore the new healthcare economy, it’s important to understand why a strong digital front door strategy has rapidly become a critical success factor in meeting the needs, preferences, and expectations of today’s healthcare consumers.
To gain that understanding we recommend examining a few key healthcare experience trends that are driving the need for new digital strategies like the digital front door:
- Omnichannel experiences: Recent research has revealed that patients expect frictionless, omnichannel experiences. Our Omnichannel Healthcare Experience Report 2021 identified ways that healthcare organizations can meet patients’ expectations of an experience that seamlessly integrates services across channels, platforms, and devices.
- New delivery care options: In the past 18 months, 40% of patients utilized a telehealth option for their care. Healthcare must integrate new care models like telemedicine and virtual care as the care delivery model continues to evolve.
- Personalization: Understanding the individual demographics, needs, and behaviors of patients and members is vital to meeting their expectations and supporting those individual preferences. Creating personalized healthcare experiences is now an essential component of quality care
- Hybrid experiences: While new methods of virtual care are on the rise, the human element is still paramount in the healthcare experience. Digital tools need to support a healthcare experience that elevates, rather than removes, human interaction, supporting a healthcare experience that can easily move between in-person and digital touchpoints.
- Ease of use: Above all else, the healthcare interactions must be highly intuitive and easy to use for every patient and member, regardless of age, gender, income, or any other demographic factor.
What is a digital front door?
A Digital Front Door is a strategy that takes a modern approach to the healthcare interactions that were traditionally in person or manual, offering a more integrated, digital, frictionless experience for patients and members.